Tuesday, August 2, 2011

July backcountry trip



Ioca Park, Weminuche Trail, Colorado


My husband and I went on our third 'solo' backcountry trip July 21st-26th, 6 days which is 2 days longer than our previous record of 4 days :) I say 'solo' as it was just the two of us, one able bodied man and a disabled woman, 12 miles into the Weminuche Wilderness. For the second time we packed my wheelchair, a lightweight older Quickie Revolution that folds forward and has removable wheels. A lucky score from a friend who sold it to me, since they are no longer made. Having a wheelchair in the backcountry is a huge help to me, and to my husband since I can do SO much more from a wheelchair than I can using crutches. SO much more. This time I put up (and took down) the tents (one for us, one for stashing our saddles). I wheeled myself along the river banks, and where I couldn't wheel I hopped down and scooted on my butt, or crawled, whatever it took. I became enthralled with fishing.


All this stuff goes on the horses. Note wheelchair frame on the right


Wheelchair frame loaded on one horse, wheels going on the other


Horses loaded, we head into the wilderness



Wild coneflowers and delphiniums were at their peak



We made camp near the Sierra Vandera trail, with this gorgeous view towards Granite Peak


I'm 44 and this is the first tent I have put up, better late than never!


I was so excited to have caught this 14 inch cutthroat with a fly.


A homemade griddle someone packed in to this campsite, it made cooking so much easier!


Sarah and Jypsi on the Sierra Vandera trail


I think we would have stayed a few more days if we didn't run out of coffee. Note to self: bring extra coffee, always :) The longer we stayed the easier it got, and the more I did not want to return to civilization. I often fantasize that if I were not disabled I would spend all my summers in the mountains, away from the squabbling masses and tensions of modern life.

So many conflicting thoughts went through my mind during this camping trip. They went from "this is perfect, this is how life should be, I can do this in a wheelchair" to "I am an impediment to my husband, I have no business being in the wilderness, I am irresponsible and self centered to put myself in this situation". Lots of conflicts. Lots of ups and downs. Overall it was a gratifying trip, when we returned I felt somehow victorious, even though I was never in any danger, I was never a hindrance to my husband, and I was able to help in a meaningful way to set up and tear down camp.

Come to think of it, I *always* feel like returning safely from a backcountry trip is a victory.....

No comments:

Post a Comment